Notes from Le Grappin winemaker Andrew Nielsen:
2014 Savigny les Beaune Rouge
From a 60 year old parcel of Pinot Noir, in my favourite villages climat for Pinot Noir in Savigny-lès-Beaune, “Aux Fournaux”. With the vineyard being located at the base of the slope, which provides better sunlight interception and drainage than most villages parcels in Savigny-lès-Beaune, the wine has fine definition and weight for a villages appellation wine. “Aux Fournaux” is also at the junction with Pernand-Vergelesses and Aloxe-Corton, with racy fruits from the former and rocky tannins from the later. A very complex villages site!
Hand picked and sorted for over 8 hours to ensure only the best fruit made it to the fermenter. 80% of the grapes were destemmed with the remaining 20% placed on top as whole cluster in a wooden vat. Dry ice was used to cool the fruit to 12ºC and to protect the berries against oxidation. Natural fermentation with just one pump over and one pigèage for temperature control. The must was then basket pressed on the 14th day after harvesting. Settled for two weeks in tank before 11 months in a new barrel from Tonnellerie Minier (14% new oak) and in a variety of one to five year-old barrels from Tonnellerie Chassin. Racked under air pressure and settled for two weeks in tank before being bottled under a DIAM closure without fining or filtration.
Crunchy and bright blackberry and dark cherry aromatics with spicy, smoky undertones. “Pinotcious” – a word I just invented, everything about it screams juicy Red Burgundy. Fine but firm/rocky tannins and crunchy acid backbone frame a very long, sweet fruit finish.
Barrels made: 7
About Le Grappin
“My vision for Le Grappin is to seek out special sites in the over-looked, under-appreciated reaches of Burgundy, that tell a story. I search out viticulteurs as maniacal as me, who tend their vines throughout the year, who know their sites and how best to make the site shine. My job is to ensure the wine reaches it’s true potential, working by hand, with small lots, giving each wine as much care and attention as my viticulteurs have paid to the vines. I believe one finds a sense of detail, purity, and focus in my wines as a result. I hope you enjoy the stories my wines have to tell.” – Andrew Nielsen, Le Grappin
— Jamie Goode (@jamiegoode) January 16, 2015