Transparent ruby. Very fresh and natural. Great zest and purity. 17 Points — Jancis Robinson MW
Very fresh and detailed with aromatic cherry and raspberry fruit. Good structure with lovely fruity elegance, and detailed, firm but fine structure. Lovely elegance here, and it has a savoury side. 94/100 — Jamie Goode, Wine Anorak
Generally my favourite Le Grappin red. The nose is very different to the Savigny, and overall the wine has more depth. For a 2015 there is exemplary weight and balance.
— David Crossley, The Wide World of Wine
❤️ — Ruth Spivey, GQ Sommelier of the Year
The Savigny I’d drink at the bar, and this is for me drinking alone. Super! — Bill Nanson, The Burgundy Report
The Le Grappin wines throughout the range were of very high quality; the Santenay 1er cru Les Gravieres Blanc in particular was very expressive as was the magnificent Beaune 1er cru Boucherottes. — Mark Priestley, from Wine Pages Forum
92 Points — Tim Atkins MW
Notes from Le Grappin winemaker Andrew Nielsen:
2015 Beaune Premier Cru “Boucherottes” Rouge
From two contiguous parcels, one a 40 year old selection massale planting, the other a 25 yearly selection clonale (Dijon 114/115), at the southern end of the Beaune Premier Cru slope below the famous vineyard of “Clos des Mouches” and next to Pommard’s grand climat “Les Epenots”. A very underrated and unknown vineyard, it produces wines with a Pommard-esque fruit profile with silky and fine boned tannins.
Hand picked and sorted for over 8 hours to ensure only the best fruit made it to the fermenter. 75% of the grapes were destemmed with the remaining 25% placed on top as whole cluster in a wooden vat under cover of CO2 with no SO2 on the fruit. The grapes were chilled to 10ºC using dry ice, which as well as cooling the grapes, saturates the juice with CO2 , thus helping protect against oxidation of fruit flavours. A natural ferment commenced after a 7 day cold soak with four pumpovers and four pigèages over the course of fermentation. Pressed using our 90 year-old basket press on the 16th day after picking, the wine spent two weeks in tank before spending 11 months in a new 350L barrel from Tonnellerie Chassin and a mix of one to five year old barrels. Racked under air pressure and settled for two weeks in tank before being bottled under a DIAM 10 closure without fining or filtration.
Dark cherry, blackberry and boysenberry fruit notes, with earthy, floral (violets) undertones; a very Pommard-esque aromatic profile. Super silky and bright in the mouth, concentrated yet pure; true Burgundian power with weightlessness.
9 barrels made
About Le Grappin
“My vision for Le Grappin is to seek out special sites in the over-looked, under-appreciated reaches of Burgundy, that tell a story. I search out viticulteurs as maniacal as me, who tend their vines throughout the year, who know their sites and how best to make the site shine. My job is to ensure the wine reaches it’s true potential, working by hand, with small lots, giving each wine as much care and attention as my viticulteurs have paid to the vines. I believe one finds a sense of detail, purity, and focus in my wines as a result. I hope you enjoy the stories my wines have to tell.” – Andrew Nielsen, Le Grappin
— Jamie Goode (@jamiegoode) January 16, 2015